Top 10 Tips for Preventing and Reducing Heat Stress
Jul 15, 2021
Our top 10 tips for reducing heat stress in your calves.
- Emphasize cleaning and sanitation of milk bottles, water buckets, etc.
- Increase airflow with fans or by raising hutches
- Provide shade to calves or use reflective covers on hutches to reduce exposure
- Use a fly control system including ClariFly®
- Wet the heads and ears of calves up to 4times a day, in dry climate only (avoid getting bedding wet)
- Feed at night and early morning (cooler times of the day) and always provide fresh, clean, low sodium water
- Dump old starter frequently to reduce spoilage and encourage intakes
- Feed milk replacer like LAND O LAKES®WarmFront® or Pasteurized Milk Balancer® for the correct protein and fat levels for warm weather, too much fat will reduce starter intake
- Use electrolytes like LAND O LAKES® ElectrolyteBase to prevent or combat dehydration by encouraging water consumption, as well as supplying a little extra energy
- Support the calf’s immune system during this time of stress with pre- and probiotics, as well as vitamins in LAND O LAKES® Calf Insure supplement